The 110th Observation Squadron was established by the Militia Bureau on on June 23,1923, which authorized the immediate organization of the 110th Observation Squadron, 35th Division of Aviation, Missouri National Guard. The units first headquarters was located in a filling station on Manchester Avenue. From this location it was moved to a small room over a grocery store on Olive Street Road In St Louis County. Meetings were held at the Airport, which at the time was little more than a pasture, there were no airplanes and no uniforms for the enlisted men.
Through the years the unit grew in equipment, men and stature while serving the country in WW2 as a fighter/reconnaissance configuration and winning the Presidential Unit Citation for action in the pacific. After being re-designated as the 110th Fighter Squadron in 1946 the unit’s service also included the Korean War, Berlin Airlift Crisis and many of it’s members served during the Vietnam War.
Keeping watch over the Saint Louis skies in F-100, F-4, and F-15 fighter jets the unit was slowly moved from the local Saint Louis area with the new designation as the 110th Bomber Squadron in 2008 and now flying B-2 bombers out of Whiteman Air Force Base in central Missouri.
A full history with additional information on the linage, assignments and aircraft can be found here:
Mark Twain Hobby Center has commissioned one of our manufacturers to provide a souvenir to this great group of men and women. We now have available a 14 inch full color sign that has been distressed to look old that resembles the patches of the 110th Tactical Fighter Squadron from about 1960 to the early 1990’s. This is a great new wall hanger for your den, aircraft collection room or garage and will compliment any memorabilia or model collection. The design is the same as that shown on the side of the aircraft in the photographs.
These are in limited numbers so don’t wait.